8.23.2010

Broadway Review

I've seen quite a few Broadway musicals in London and NYC this summer, and now I love going to a show. In case you're wondering what you should see, here's my personal review of the ones I've seen.

Both Tyler and I went to see Wicked without having any prior knowledge of the story and we both thought it was AWESOME!! The storyline is fun yet completely different from it's counterpart, The Wizard of Oz, the set designs were great, and the singing was phenomenal! I think I got chills every time Elphaba sang- definitely a must see.


If you have seen the film version of South Pacific, then you'll love it just as much on stage. It follows right along with movie and has all the same great songs including "Happy Talk" :) Seriously, the music is so fun- I was singing along and dancing in my seat the whole time. It also made me want to go to the beach, but I still highly recommend it.



The Phantom of the Opera was similar to the movie as well (I'm pretty sure cause I've only seen part of the movie), but in the production I saw the singing was only okay and in my opinion incredible singing is what makes that musical good. I guess it's a classic, but it's not on my must see list.


I honestly can't remember the last time I saw this movie and it makes me sad because all the songs are so good. The most impressive thing about Mary Poppins were the set designs and changes. There was also a little mythology in there, which I'm not sure is in the movie, but I loved, naturally. It was really fun to watch and sing along to- I would say this one is worth the time and excellent for the keikis too!


Oliver is an off-Broadway musical that I went to only because the London Centre was paying for us to see it, and I am soooo glad they did. The kids singing in this were amazing and the guy who played Bill Sikes was every bit as creepy as the one in the movie; I think Bill Sikes is on my top five creepiest bad guys list. The sets were also pretty neat- definitely a must see.

Seeing a Broadway production of The Lion King has been on my bucket list for some time now, and I'm happy to say that I can finally check it off the list. The singing in the production Tyler and I saw was a little disappointing, however I was still got totally giddy when the giraffes first came on stage. Like everyone says the costumes, as well as the sets, are incredible. It is definitely a must see for the costumes alone, but everything else is still a bonus!

Finally, even though it is not technically a musical, I wanted to do a shout out for the Peter Pan play we saw in London. I did a research paper on J.M. Barrie's original Peter Pan for an English class and absolutely love the story. This production of the classic tale was set in Scotland. During major set changes the cast members sang a Scottish song and it was really interesting. I was also impressed with the way they did Tinkerbell- she was a floating flame that Peter could catch and hold; so clever! The play was also much more like the book than the Disney movie which I loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment