3.29.2011

Where the Giants Sleep

Tyler and I spent Saturday around Visalia, CA visiting Sarah & Justin before they leave to go back up to BYU-Idaho. Although we had a couple of fun things planned, we only had time for a drive through Sequoia National Park because sunny California decided to send a us a little snow storm in the mountains. The snow did make for an adventure though (at some places the snow banks were about ten feet tall), and I did learn how to put chains on the tires even though Tyler and Justin failed in their attempt.

Sequoia National Park was gorgeous, especially covered in snow. When we entered the 'Giant Forest' the trees just seemed to get bigger and bigger the deeper in we drove. For a while it was soooo quiet and we were the only ones on the road and I couldn't help feeling like we were tip-toeing through a giants lair. As we traveled towards the world's largest tree, also known as General Sherman, I was looking up at the massive trees along the way and it felt like I was looking up at huge sentinels guarding the way to their giant leader. I loved it! There was just something so peaceful and awe-inspiring about the place and I felt like I was in my own little fairy tale. Although I haven't seen the park in the spring, summer or autumn, I think I like it in winter best - I just loved the quiet.

General Sherman

Proof that these trees really are giants

I really liked how heavy-duty the bark was on the Sequoias. Plus, the leaves make a pretty pattern against the snow-white sky :)

Do you see all that green? (Notice the tiny branch under my extended arm which has formed itself in a nice arrow to further emphasize my excitement with the moss :)

Lovemuffin

In California you can be looking at this beautiful mountain in the morning, and then be back on a warm beach by sunset.

2 comments:

  1. First, those trees really are MASSIVE! Oh my word...
    Second, your pictures (as always) are fabulous.
    Three, talking to you the other day was a wonderful surprise... let's do that often.
    Four, I got a offer to apply for a job in Geneva two days after we talked - no joke. However, I gave a no-go for now... more to tell on that later.
    Last, I'm glad you posted more. LOVE that. Love you.
    *muah*

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, am i out-of-date w/this blog. love the pictures...except for the fact that all these entries made me feel more distant from you guys b/c i haven't been a part of any of your fun adventures in the past few months. course correction needed. loves...

    ReplyDelete